Rough Scorpionic Love: “1 +1” by Beyonce
With a Scorpio Moon and Venus conjunct Pluto, Beyonce, a Virgo Sun, often embraces songs that celebrate a Plutonic brand of love: rough, contentious, lustful and extremist.
In her song “1+1” (listen below), she expresses the quality of her undying love for her man against a nearly apocalyptic backdrop that compares love & being loved to:
- being shot
- receiving a healing balm in the midst of war
- being the one thing to stop her from balling up her fist in angst
- and to the sole possesion that makes death and loss endurable.
Well, isn’t that just …..lovely?
The metaphors are stark and dark — so much so that they are achingly beautiful in a Scorpionic sort of way.
Forget the harsh imagery of bombs and fists and forget the use of profanity to emphasize the love.
Nothing is more harsh than her vocal delivery. Beyonce forces this song out and gives it rough edges. I remember when I first heard this song, “1+1” and I was struck by how she did not deliver it in a gentle, soft beautiful way as most people are accustomed to hearing love songs.
I thought to myself “Mainstream is not going to get this.” This was not one of her popular songs and barely spent time on the Billboard charts, but I confess it’s one of my favorites since it celebrates what all Scorpios celebrate: deep, unconquerable love … that lasts even after the world perishes.
It also, in a subconscious way, celebrates rough, aggressive love which is something only a person with strong Pluto, Scorpio, or 8th house zodiac energy can understand. Many Scorpios, particularly Scorpio women, confuse and even repel people through the aggressive nature of their sexuality and sentiment. People don’t have a reference for love (or women) in this manner. They understand gentle, whispery love and demure women in love. (Boring!). (That reminds me, I once sent a boyfriend a poem called “Explosive Love.” Yeah, that was in my atomic love days. I’ve moved on to a napalm phase.)
Speaking of her roughness…. Everything about this Lunar Scorpio’s public sexuality is rough. Beyonce has always offered an in your face, dangerous sexuality which is just what Pluto conjunct Venus, the planet that rules arts and music, potentially conjure.
I remember during one live performance she was passing through the audience and was so aggressively sexual that a man was smiling mesmerized and then drew back in fear and timidity. I will never forget that. Sure, her Leo Mars conjunct Ascendant makes her dramatically sexual, but Beyonce’s moon and artsy Pluto influence her choice to make her sexuality all-powerful and almost masculine. (isn’t she even calling herself “King B” now?)
Lesson You Can Learn About Scorpio Traits from this song:
- Female Scorpio sex energy — whether Sun, Moon, Rising or Mars — is not gentle and demure… AT ALL.
- Yes, Scorpionic people, male and female, will fight to the death for love …and can make love in a frenzy that almost resembles fighting to physically express that emotion…..
© 2011 – 2015, Synthia L. Rose. All rights reserved.
Latest posts by Synthia L. Rose (see all)
- 10 Ways to Use Rituals to Bring Your Scorpio Closer - July 13, 2020
- The Scorpio Sun Sign Personality : Seer, Desirer, Consumer - July 13, 2020
- 8 Ways to Observe the Plutonian Day of Halloween with Your Scorpio - July 13, 2020